Bus Rules & Safety Tips
Riding on the Bus
- Obey the bus driver.
- Be courteous at all times. Foul language is prohibited.
- Stay in your seat and face forward: never stand on a moving bus.
- Keep noise level down and do not distract the driver (no yelling or shouting).
- Do not throw anything on the bus or out the window.
- Keep hands and feet to yourselves.
- Don't damage the bus in any way.
- Don't push, shove and hit.
- Keep hands, head and other items inside the bus windows.
- Do not eat or drink on the bus.
- No food or drinks are allowed on the bus.
Items not allowed on the Bus
- Alcohol, drugs, pets, glass objects, knives, sharp objects, alcohol, tobacco, matches, lighters, obscene materials, illegal contraband or weapons of any kind will be allowed on the bus.
- Objects too large to be held in your lap or placed under your seat.
Waiting for the Bus
- Arrive at the bus stop early.
- Avoid dangerous horseplay while waiting.
- Stay out of the danger zone: stand at least 10 feet away from the edge of the road.
- Wait until the bus stops, the door opens and the driver says it's okay to board the bus.
- Cross at the corner or marked crosswalk.
- Use sidewalks when possible.
- Don't talk to strangers.
Getting on and off the Bus
- Must have a signed permission from parent and signed giving authorization by the principal to get off at a stop other than your own.
- Use handrails at the steps.
- Keep the aisle clear: watch clothing or backpacks with dangling drawstrings or straps.
- Never try to retrieve an item dropped near the bus - get out of the danger zone immediately.
- Be sure the bus driver can see you and you can see the driver when loading and unloading.
- Walk in front of the bus, never behind the bus.
- Look both ways before crossing the street.
- Wait for the driver's signal before crossing.
- Always cross at least 10 feet in front of the bus.
- Never run to or from the bus.
- Stand back from the curb